Changing your car’s engine oil
Why your car’s engine oil needs to be changed
Changing your car’s engine oil is one of the most basic of automotive maintenance activities. Your car’s engine is very valuable. It is made up of a lot of metal and these metal parts are moving constantly while your engine is running. These parts rub against each other while the vehicle is in motion.
Obviously, metal parts need to be constantly lubricated. You need to know what oil is recommended for your vehicle. You should take into consideration the environment as well.
What You Will Need To Do
- Check Oil and Oil Filter – this can be purchased at any spares shop or preferred supplier.
- Check for Oil Drain Plug – drain the oil out of it.
- Drain Engine oil – make sure your car is on a good level surface.
- Remove Splash Gaurd and Sump Plug – clean the sump plug and sump washer.
- Use An Oil Draining Pan – for oil that will drip out while draining your cars engine oil.
- Change Oil Filter – everytime you change your car’s engine oil.
- Oil Ring And Torque – make sure the oil ring is lubricated and torque the oil filter properly.
- Use A funnel – when filling your engine with new oil. Oil cap is located at the top of your engine. The cap is typically marked so you can’t miss it.
- Do Not Overfill The Engine – you will damage it.
- Close and tighten cap – once you have filled with the correct amount and type of oil.
- Run Your Engine – for a couple of minutes after every oil change. This allows new oil to circulate.
- Stop Engine – allow to cool down and then check the oil level again.
- Record Oil Change – as evidence of when you did the oil change last.
Once you understand the steps, it becomes very easy to do.
Check out this step-by-step video on how to change engine oil.